No-Bake Protein Balls
Looking for a simple, quick, and delicious snack recipe that will help satiate your hunger between meals, in a car ride, or while at the ball game, playground, or beach? Look no further than these No-Bake Protein Balls!
This specific recipe is a combination of Hyde County’s Family & Consumer Sciences & Agriculture Agents’ protein ball recipes. Estimated nutrition information is posted at the bottom of this article! You’ll notice in the recipe below that many ingredients are listed with a range. This is because this particular recipe is not a science but more of an art.
For example, I typically use 2 cups of old fashioned oats. However, I only had 1 1/2 cups remaining, and the store was completely sold out of all oats at the time. I did, however, have an excess of ground flaxseed. With using less oats, I increased the amount of flaxseed this time. You may find you prefer a little more or less of different ingredients, and that is what makes it great for you and your family!
Add what you like, take out what you don’t. If you really do not like the taste of coconut flakes, leave them out. Maybe you love dried cranberries – add those in! This also allows for those who may have food allergies or tend to have a more limited taste preference to make it into a nutritious snack they will enjoy.
These can get a little gooey and start melting if left on the countertop and especially if out in the heat. Be sure to travel with cold packs to keep them solid while on-the-go!
Visit N.C Cooperative Extension of Hyde County – Family & Consumer Sciences Facebook Page to view the newest Cooking with CatieJo in action with No-Bake Protein Balls!
No-Bake Protein Balls Recipe
- -1 1/2 to 2 cups old fashioned oats (preferred 2 cups)
- -1/2 – 3/4 cup ground flaxseed (preferred 1/2 cup)
- -1/2 cup honey
- -1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- -1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- -1/2 – 3/4 cup peanut butter (or other preferred nut butter, such as almond butter)
- -1/2 cup chocolate chips (preferred mini chocolate chips)
- -1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Spoon and roll into tablespoon size balls.
- Place on parchment paper on baking sheet and let cool/harden in fridge or freezer for 30-60 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.
This recipe is adapted from AllRecipes No-Bake Energy Bites. The nutritional information posted below is from their original recipe. Note: quantity of oats and peanut butter are doubled in our recipe as compared to the original, where nutritional information has been obtained. Information listed below is not exact and will vary depending on quantities and ingredients used.